Over 70 per cent of women suffer from thrush at some point in their life and, for some, it can be a recurrent problem. There are anti-fungal remedies available, such as Canesten and Nystatin, but here's our self help plan:
● Take live Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets, which supplement the "friendly" bacteria in the vagina; or eat live ("Bio") yoghurt three times daily during an attack.
● Eat plenty of fresh garlic, a natural antiseptic, or take garlic supplements.
● Try inserting plain live yoghurt into your vagina with your fingers.
● Avoid antibiotics, unless it's absolutely necessary.
● No more long, hot baths; take showers and short warm baths and avoid bath oils.
● Avoid close-fitting trousers and go knickerless when possible. Wear stockings instead of tights.
● Avoid swimming in chlorinated water. Seek out ozone treated pools and shower thoroughly after swimming.
● Don't use tampons.
● Use non-biological washing powder.
● Beware - the Pill and pregnancy can be triggers.
● Certain foods, such as sugar and yeast - in bread, Marmite, alcohol, mushrooms and most cheeses - can encourage thrush, so cut down on your intake.
● Vitamins B2, B5, B6, B12, C, E, folic acid and selenium supplements may bolster your immune system, and only buy vitamins that are yeast-free.
Saturday, August 12, 2006
that skin infestations such as pubic lice, scabies and ringworm are not only caught through sexual contact but can be transmitted on towels and bed linen? Pubic lice or crabs can survive up to 24 hours away from human skin. Scabies and ringworm can also be caught from inanimate objects, according to Sister Lesley Hunter at St John's Dermatology Centre, St Thomas' Hospital, London: "Ringworm is easily caught in damp, wet places, such as swimming pools and changing rooms, and scabies, although it is mostly transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, can be caught from bedding and clothing." She advises against sharing brushes, combs and towels, too. Prompt treatment is essential, so go to your GP if you suspect that you're infected.
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Give yourself a talking to....Most of us listen to a relentless stream of self criticism and negative thoughts going on inside our head. When we hear it often enough, we begin to believe it. You can replace these automatic negative thoughts with positive ones which set you up for success, for instance..